Father and Son

I wrote this piece after spending time with one of my sons, who was helping me with a particular problem on my computer. As we were working together, I thought about the age gap between our generations...and wondered how he saw me as an older person.
[the original idea for this came from a poem I read which was written by someone anonymously,so I can't take credit for the original idea]


My son, my son
Tell me what do you see
What do you see
When you’re looking at me

This strong man, still useful
With help still at hand
Or an old man, stooping slightly
His life mainly spent

This man somewhat thoughtful
With advice still to give
Or an old man knowing nothing
Of how the young live

This father, missing his children
Yet happy with his lot
Or an old man with just memories
Who’s trying to put back the clock

This caring man, still caring
With some experience of life
Or a man who’s just a nuisance
And who’s only goal is strife

This virile man, still thriving
Afraid of no one at all
Or a man just frail and hesitant
Who can only stand and call

This father who’s still watching
And still has some help to give
Or a man who’s just a problem
And loosing the will to live

My son, dearest son
Is this what you see
Is this what you see
When you’re looking at me

No comments: