The Button Pusher

Have you ever been kept on hold on the phone while waiting to speak to someone in one of those large faceless organisations?…...I have, and look what happened


I’m in this queue, getting nowhere at all
On the phone, pressing buttons when asked
I only want to query my last phone bill
Oh how long will this torment last


That music, and then a computer voice
Assuring my turn will come soon
This machine doesn’t understand I need a human voice
It just keeps playing that damned tune


Ten minutes pass and I’m wondering what to do
Make some tea, or just read a book?
As I’m told again that my custom is important
I could do the crossword if I get stuck


More options, more buttons and then a real voice
Trouble is I don’t know what he’s saying
But in sheer desperation, I dare not let him go
After waiting half an hour, I’m just praying


Praying he’ll understand exactly what I need
As I sit here quietly going mad
I’m tempted to try and put him on hold
Would a naughty trick like that be so bad?


Then he promises to ring me back
And I say yes please, with a cheer
Now he’ll understand what its like to be on hold
As I tear my hair out sitting here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very true Jar. I ilke it.

If you suffer from TalkTalk for the computer ISA they play "City Lights" which is quite catchy and once you have put the phone down, after the 40 minutes waiting engaged one way or another as per your poem, it is difficult to get the damned tune out of your head!!!!!

john

Anonymous said...

learned a lot

Georgie Girl said...

Having the same problem with Three Mobile Phone people, Have had a faulty phone for almost 14 months......long story. I keep getting them ringing me go through a long rigmerole asking what is wrong with it....when I say it is dead, they ask what I mean, this goes for over 20 mins...then he disappears. I ask for someone who understands English....he puts me on hold......eventually after all these months......am totally fed up.........Love it Jar