One Dying Thought

I came back from a holiday in New Zealand where we had been out to sea watching Sperm Whales.
When we got home, one of the first things I saw was a programme about countries recommencing whale hunting after years when all whales had been left to breed and increase their numbers.

Yesterday I came up to take a breath
I saw the boats and faces all smiling
The sea was warm, the sun in the west
And I sensed that they all liked me


For just a sight of this surfacing whale
Amazed them all, as they looked at me
And then they saw my submerging tail
Just watching, not believing what they see


Today I came up for another breath
And saw different people watching me
The last thing on my mind was my imminent death
Heard the gun bang, then felt the pain


Felt myself thrashing around & around
Saw all the water, the colour of blood
Heard all the seabirds, their numbers abound
Wondered what they’ll hunt, when we’re all dead

1 comment:

John said...

What a sad but true reflection on life today